We all have those things we secretly love but are too embarrassed to admit.
You know, those guilty pleasures that we indulge in when no one’s watching.
Whether binge-watching reality TV shows or eating an entire pint of ice cream in one sitting, guilty pleasures are a way for us to escape from reality and let loose.
Let’s take a look at some common examples of guilty pleasures that many of us can relate to.
So sit back, relax, and embrace your inner indulgence!
What Are Guilty Pleasures?
Guilty pleasures are those activities, hobbies, or indulgences that we enjoy but often feel ashamed or embarrassed about.
They can be as simple as listening to a cheesy pop song on repeat or as complex as obsessively collecting a certain type of item.
Guilty pleasures provide us with a temporary escape from the pressures and expectations of our everyday lives.
They allow us to indulge in something we enjoy without worrying about what others think.
The concept of guilty pleasures is subjective and varies from person to person. What one person considers a guilty pleasure may not be the same for another.
However, one thing is for sure – guilty pleasures are a way for us to relax, unwind, and embrace our inner desires without fear of judgment.
51 Guilty Pleasure Examples
- Reality TV – Reality shows offer a chance to tune out from the world and immerse ourselves in the juicy lives of others, watching as their dramas unfold before our eyes.
- Junk Food – Despite knowing that junk food is unhealthy, the allure of its savory, salty, or sweet flavors is hard to resist, making it a guilty pleasure that many of us indulge in.
- Social Media Scrolling – With a never-ending feed of content at your fingertips, social media scrolling is an easy way to pass the time, stay connected with friends and family, and sometimes get lost in an endless scroll.
- Binge-Watching – A beloved pastime of many, binge-watching allows us to escape reality for a little while and get lost in the world of our favorite shows, all from the comfort of our couch.
- Romantic Comedies – Though often seen as cheesy or predictable, romantic comedies can provide a welcome break from reality and allow you to escape into the idealized world of romance and happy endings.
- Video Games – Whether it’s competing in a virtual race or slaying mythical beasts, video games provide an immersive escape from reality and a chance to exercise your problem-solving skills and creativity.
- Online Shopping – With just a few clicks, online shopping allows us to indulge in the thrill of buying something new without ever having to leave our homes or face the judgment of salespeople.
- Bubble Baths – Soaking in a hot bubble bath is a luxurious and relaxing way to unwind and indulge in a little bit of self-care, even if just for a few moments.
- Singing in the Shower – Belting out your favorite tunes in the shower can be a freeing and fun way to relieve stress, improve your mood, and indulge in a little bit of musical indulgence.
- Day Drinking – Though not always socially acceptable, day drinking can be a tempting indulgence for those looking to let loose and enjoy a mid-day break from reality.
- Cute Animal Videos – Watching videos of adorable animals doing funny or cute things is a heartwarming way to take a mental break and indulge in some joy and happiness.
- Celebrity Gossip – Whether reading magazines or scrolling through gossip sites, keeping up with the latest celebrity scandals and drama is a guilty pleasure that feeds your curiosity and love of drama.
- Sleeping In – Hitting the snooze button and getting a few extra minutes (or hours) of sleep is a small indulgence that can make a big difference in our mood and energy levels.
- Playing Hooky – Take a day off from work or school to do something fun and spontaneous! It can be an exciting way to enjoy a moment of rebellion and spontaneity.
- Karaoke – Whether you’re singing in front of a crowd or just in the comfort of your own home, karaoke provides a fun and liberating way to indulge in your love of music and performance.
- Dancing Alone – With nobody watching, dancing alone can be a freeing and fun way to let loose, relieve stress, and get some physical activity.
- Napping – Sneaking away for a quick power nap can be a refreshing way to get some rest and relaxation, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- Gossiping – Though not always seen as a positive activity, gossiping with friends or coworkers can be a fun way to create some social bonding and entertainment.
- Procrastinating – Though not always the most productive choice, procrastinating can be a tempting way to step away for relaxation and freedom.
- Indulging in Desserts – Do you love sweets? Savoring a decadent dessert is a guilty pleasure for many and feels like necessary self-care, even if we know it’s not the healthiest option.
- Adult Coloring Books – Coloring intricate designs with colored pencils or markers can be a calming and meditative way to indulge in creative expression and relaxation.
- Watching ASMR Videos – The soothing sounds or whispers on these videos help you sleep or relieve anxiety. Try watching or listening to them whenever you need a moment for yourself.
- Collecting Trinkets – Whether it’s figurines, stamps, or other items, collecting small trinkets can be a personal and private way to savor some sentimentality and nostalgia.
- Trashy Novels – Reading steamy romance novels or predictable thrillers is pure escapism and lets you enjoy a light-hearted story without heavy themes or plotlines.
- People-Watching – Do you like to observe strangers and imagine their stories? It’s a fun and relaxing way to entertain yourself and learn about various types of people.
More Related Articles
Need to Miss Work on Short Notice? 27 Good Excuses That Bosses Will Understand
43 Powerful Spiritual Symbols and Meanings
36 Knock-Her-Socks Off, Fabulous Last-Minute Date Ideas
- Board Games – Playing board games with friends or family lets you enjoy a bit of friendly competition and social interaction. Just don’t get too competitive!
- People-Pleasing – Going out of our way to please others, even if it means sacrificing our own needs, can satisfy a need for validation and approval. Just don’t make it your way of life, as it can become unhealthy.
- Romantic Fantasizing – Don’t you love daydreaming about romantic scenarios or fantasies? You’ll satisfy your love of romance and escape from the realities of everyday life.
- Gardening – Spend time in nature relaxing while you tend a garden and watch plants grow. It doesn’t matter if you’re not an expert gardener. Just savor the process.
- Retail Therapy – Purchase some clothes, accessories, or other items to indulge in some self-care and excitement, even if you don’t necessarily need anything.
- Online Surveys – Do you like filling out surveys? You can get rewards or points while indulging in this easy and mindless activity. Who knows – you might learn something new!
- Makeup Tutorials – Watching makeup tutorials and experimenting with different looks is fun and lets you explore your love of beauty and creativity.
- Massage – A massage can be a way to indulge in a little bit of relaxation and self-care, even if it’s just a quick neck or foot rub.
- Online Chatting – Chatting with strangers or friends online can be a way to satisfy our love of communication and social interaction, even though it’s not face-to-face.
- Car Singing – Sing along to your favorite songs at the top of your lungs while driving. No matter how bad your voice is, your love of music and the joy of singing can relieve stress.
- YouTube Binging – We know you love watching endless videos on YouTube. You can satisfy your curiosity and desire for entertainment, whether it’s tutorials, vlogs, or cat videos.
- Coffee – Sipping on a delicious cup of coffee mindfully lets you savor the warmth and comfort, even if it means a caffeine buzz.
- Texting – Text with your friends or family, indulge in your love of chatting, and stay connected as an escape from your hectic and stressful day.
- Baking – Yum! Baking your favorite treats can foster creativity while pampering your sweet tooth, even if you’re not an expert baker.
- Eavesdropping – Listening in on other people’s conversations can satisfy our love of gossip and entertainment. It’s not necessarily polite, but you’re bound to hear something juicy!
- Meditation – When you take a few minutes to meditate, you clear your mind and enjoy some relaxation and mindfulness. It’s a welcome respite from your tasks and responsibilities.
- Travel Planning – We all love something to look forward to. Planning our dream vacations and researching new destinations nourishes our love of adventure and exploration, even if we can’t travel right away.
- Online Lurking – Scrolling through someone’s social media profiles or online presence without interacting with them can satisfy your curiosity and provide a brief respite from your work day.
- Spa Treatments – A spa treatment, whether a massage, facial, or pedicure, can be a way to indulge in some pampering and self-care.
- Petting Animals – You can enjoy some unconditional love and affection by petting dogs, cats, or other animals. If you don’t own a pet, you can borrow a friend’s!
- Deep Cleaning – Cleaning excessively, whether it’s our home, car, or workspace, is profoundly satisfying for our love of organization and cleanliness, even if it’s not strictly necessary.
- Watching Sports – Sneak away and watch your favorite sports teams compete. You know you love the competition and excitement, and you may get to spend time with other sports fans.
- Procrastibaking – Don’t you love this word?! Delaying work or other responsibilities by baking delicious treats lets you indulge in some procrastination and creativity – and it satisfies your sweet tooth.
- Stargazing – Look up at the stars and contemplate the vastness of the universe. It can be a peaceful way to feel the wonder and awe of this magnificent universe.
- Creative Writing – Writing stories, poems, or other creative works requires focus and imagination, which puts you in a relaxing flow state. Just enjoy the process without judging the outcome.
- Window Shopping – Browsing through stores and imagining yourself wearing or using the items you see lets you enjoy a bit of fantasy and daydreaming without spending a dime.
We all have our guilty pleasures, those little indulgences that make us feel good even if we know we shouldn’t be doing them. From junk food to reality TV to day drinking, there are plenty of things that we enjoy despite their less-than-ideal consequences.
But hey, life is short, so why not indulge every now and then? As long as we’re aware of the potential downsides and don’t let them completely take over our lives, a little bit of guilty pleasure can be just what the doctor ordered.